Chernivtsi University was founded in 1875 and there was no College of History, to say nothing about Political Science and International Relations, thus, History was taught at two departments at the “universal” College of Philosophy along with mathematics, physics, biology and other science subjects. At one department, History of Austria and World History were taught, and at the other one, Ancient, East European and South-East European History were taught. Among the heads of the chairs there were famous historians like Professors Ferdinand Ceglauer von Blumenthal, who wrote several works on the History of Bukovyna, Raimund Frederick Kaindl, Johann Polek, J. Lozert, Sigmund Gertsberg-Frenkel, Volodymyr Milkovych, Ion Nistor. A particularly significant contribution to the study of the history of Bukovyna was made by R.Kaindl, the resident of Chernivtsi and the graduate from Chernintsi University, who wrote “History of Bukovyna” in 3 volumes (1888-1893), “History of Chernivtsi from Ancient Times to the Present Day” (1908, translation in Ukrainian and English language, 2005), the two-volume study “Ruteni in Bukovyna” co-authored by A. Manastyrskyi (1898-1899), (translated in Ukrainian, 2007), “Hutsuls: their lives, customs and folk retellings” (1894, printed in Ukrainian language in 1999), “Bukovyna in 1848-1849” (1900), 3-volume “History of Germans of the Carpathian region” (1907-1911). Covering, in particular, the ancient history of Bukovyna, he emphasized that Slavic population settled this region already in the 6th century A.D.
Stepan Smal-Stotskyi, Chernivtsi University professor, a philologist, a well-known Ukrainian public and political figure, wrote the book “Bukovynian Russ” about the history of the Ukrainian national and cultural movement, the creation of the Ukrainian nation as an integral part of the entire Ukrainian nation.
Ukrainian students were very persistent in their attempts to initiate the opening of the department of Ukrainian history, but it was not open, and the most important events in the history of Ukraine were delivered while reading the course of Eastern European history.
In the 1920-30s, the History Course was taught at 4 colleges of the University: Romanian History Department, Department of Ancient History, Epigraphic and Greco-Roman Antiquities, Department of Middle Ages History, New and Modern History, Department of South-East European Countries. Lectures were delivered by renowned scholars I. Nistor, R.Kyndia, T. Balan, T.Sauchuk-Sevianu, A. Bokenetsu and others at the time.
After the accession of Northern Bukovyna to the Soviet Ukraine incorporated into the USSR in 1940, respectively, according to the restructuring of Chernivtsi University into the Soviet higher educational institution, the College of History consisting of three departments was established among the six colleges: History of the USSR, the History of the Ancient World and the Middle Ages, New and Modern History involving three professors (M. Skavronskyi, A. Kriachun, K. Kaminskyi) who were teaching to 66 students.
Beginning from October 1944, the College functioned with the same three departments and the Department of History of the Ukrainian SSR, which in 1949 was integrated into the Department of History of the USSR. Deans of the college at different times were Professors and Associate Professors M. Skavronskyi, V. Holobutskyi, I. Kravchenko, V. Lytvynov, T. Sopilniuk, K. Tyhipko, M. Lishchenko, H. Gab, Yu.Makar, since 2003 Prof. O. Dobrzhanskyi has been a current Dean. During 1944-1991 the College changed its location 5 times. In 2005 the College changed its name from the College of History to College of History, Political Science and International Relations, which agrees to its current majors.
In the Soviet period, the college being humanitarian, and to a certain extent, influenced by political tendencies was under the vigilant control of party structures and spy agencies. The curricula of almost all subjects, scientific studies were permeated with Marxist-Leninist dogmas, and any deviation from them was harshly pursued, up to the criminal punishment, which was especially widespread among the students in the 1940s and early 1950s. Some liberalization in late 1950s did not remove this control. Nevertheless, professors made their ways to give students impartial knowledge, understanding of the laws of the development of the historical process; they were tutoring to make the students honest, educated specialists and decent people.
The scholars of the College took part in writing of such fundamental complex works as “History of the Cities and Villages of the Ukrainian SSR. Chernivtsi Oblast” (1969), “Essays on the History of Northern Bukovyna” (1980).
Yet in late 1980s and especially after the proclamation of Ukraine’s independence, the teaching of history at the college, as well as scientific research, educational work profoundly changed. Basing on the historical events, phenomena, facts, their chronological sequences, the approach to their interpretation was changed – unconditional objectivity, impartiality, historicism, deserting the principles of class struggle and constant witch hunting, the so-called Internationalism (in fact, Russification,) that had been imposed by decades. Accordingly, the curricula and work plans, lecture and seminar schedules, methodical recommendations, manuals, textbooks, topics of course papers and theses, and internship were altered.
The educational process of the college has always been provided by the faculty staffs, which have constantly grown both quantitatively and professionally. Comparing late 1950s, we can say that less than 20 professors (none of the Doctors of Sciences) were working at the college. On the other hand in 1990 – 47 professors, including 8 Doctors of Sciences in History, Professors, 31 Ph.D. Professors, 28 Associate Professors were working at the College, in 2000 – respectively 50 lecturers, among them 9 Doctors of Sciences in History, Professors, 41 Assistant Professors, 35 Associate Professors, by the end of 2016 – 96 professors, including 15 Doctors of Sciences and Professors in History and Political Studies, 73 Ph.D. Professors in History and Political Sciences.
The number of full-time students also increased: from a little more than 200 students in the early 1950s to 1100 in 2011-2012, including 600 part-time students. Accordingly, the number of graduates increased: from 10 in 1945 to 54 in 1950, 61 in 1970, 176 in 2004, and 335 in 2011. From 1945 to 2016, about 10,000 graduates graduated from our College.
Significant growth was enhanced primarily due to the opening of such new prestigious majors as Political Science, Country Studies, International Information, International Relations, Public Service, Museum Studies, Document Studies, Public Service and Administration. The introduction of new majors was supplemented by the creation of new chairs. Currently, there are three traditional departments: History of Ukraine, History of Ancient World, Middle Ages and Museum Studies, Department of Modern History. The Departments of Political Sciences and Public Administration, International Relations, International Information, as well as the Department of Modern Foreign Languages and Translation Studies were opened in the last decade. As a result, the number of academic subjects has significantly increased.
Lecture courses of all majors are delivered by highly skilled specialists of the college. The training is being conducted in three levels of education: Bachelor, Master and Doctor of Philosophy. Each department ensures the practice in archaeological, ethnographic, archival-museum, pedagogical, political sciences, political researches, professional-oriented, overseas extending training, cyber, language-translation, assistant and scientific fields.
The upgrading of the educational base of the college, which has a library (over 12 thousand books), the Ethnographic Museum, the Archaeological Laboratory, as well as the Archaeological Center, American Studies Center, Canadian Studies Center, French and Polish Studios with their libraries contributed to the development of the college. More than 80 units of different electronic devices have been installed at the college.